Sunday, March 15, 2009

Xanthan Gum...

Xanthan Gum: we hate's it precious. I've got the brown rice flower, the tapioca flower, eggs and what not for what will be, perhaps, the greatest pizza dough ever, but I lack this simple ingredient: Xanthan Gum. What is it, the only gluten-free stickiness in nature? Really? In 50+ online recipes, only one calls for no xanthan gum or gluten. This medium sized crust, though, uses no less than 6 eggs. Six!

Fortunately, I'm back on the beer - beginning to work it back into the mix after this month long pseudo-elimination diet. Thus far the results are not promising: 2 hours later, my belly is still aching from the glutany goodness (or giant bread-free pub burger and fries; whichever). Oh well; we had a good run, Beer. And I have been enjoying the bourbon lately. But where was I? Oh yes, back to the search...

3 comments:

  1. I seem to remember Michael Pollan listing it as one of the many things made from processed corn, so my guess: xanthan gum is actually solid state high fructose corn syrup. But actual research could, perhaps, be more helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. What health benefit(s) did you hope to garner by going gluten-free?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. I can eat corn.

    I went gluten free as an experiment in free will as much as anything (I made a lot of 30 day new year's resolutions. Twelve, actually.), but as it turns out even a broken colon is right twice a day - three if I've had coffee.

    The belly was never super symptomatic for me, but I'd heard gut pain can manifest as back pain, and I know a lot of other glutards whose joints hurt after eating wheat. I was curious if this was part of my problem, so I took the plunge. Yesterday I had a beer. Within an hour my insides were aching. I woke up this morning with joint stiffness and back pain. After two beers, a burger and breaded onion rings for lunch, I think I'm back off the gluten train: for good this time. It's just not worth it.

    I am interested in seeing how long it takes me to recover. A day of pain for a few good hours with a few good beers? Isn't that what Friday night and Saturday morning are all about anyway?

    I'll think about it.

    ReplyDelete